1. You have a legal duty as an employer to ensure that that an employee is well enough to return to work.
2. The business would not be covered for insurance purposes if an employee returns to work while still signed off by a doctor.
3. It gives the employer the opportunity to assess the nature of the sickness and understand if there are any trends appearing.
4. It’s a time to show an employee that you care.
5. An employer should get to know the employee’s needs and requirements and ascertain whether there needs to be any more supportive actions taken to support the member of staff.
6. All sickness is documented and as such can be used as evidence of a supportive framework should an employment dispute arise.
7. Lateness should also have a return to work interview completed – avoiding this becoming a continual behaviour.